Head of Legal, APAC
Medallia’s mission is to help companies win through customer experience. The world’s best-loved brands trust Medallia’s Experience Cloud™, which embeds the pulse of the customer in an organization and empowers employees with the real-time customer data, insights, and tools they need to make every experience great. Named a leader in the most recent Forrester Wave and ranked in the 2018 Forbes Cloud 100 list, Medallia is growing quickly, with a global footprint that spans Silicon Valley, Austin, New York, Washington DC, London, Paris, Sydney, Buenos Aires, and Tel Aviv. Here, we value people for each of the aspects that make them whole. We believe that people should not be defined only by a job title—nobody is "just an engineer" or "just a salesperson." We are each partners, parents, children, siblings, friends, and former classmates. We have different backgrounds and we celebrate different cultures. And, just like our product, we honor each of the experiences that build our people.
At Medallia we hire the whole person, not just a part of them.
Medallia’s global Legal team takes customer service to the next level and strives to be a competitive advantage for the company by developing solutions and powering growth. We are business partners with deep knowledge of the law and business that allows for quick, solution-oriented counsel and decision making. We are team players devoted to our colleagues and focused on the team’s victory. Most of all, we are passionate about our work, and we are always looking for opportunities to get better at what we do.
The Head of Legal, APAC position will be a key role in our dynamic global legal team, reporting directly to our VP, Deputy General Counsel and will be responsible for a wide range of commercial transactions, employment, privacy, intellectual property, mergers and acquisitions, and general corporate matters for the company and its global subsidiaries, with adaptability to engage in other special projects to support a rapidly growing business.
- Lead smart, relationship focused contract negotiations with some of the largest and most respected companies in the world. You will be empowered to find creative, efficient ways to structure and close deals that deliver value to both Medallia and our customers. In addition to customer deals, you will focus on strategic partnership and vendor agreements.
- Work closely with internal sales and professional services, revenue recognition, sales operations, and pricing teams to support processes for contracting and order processing.
- Provide advice and strategic support to Medallia’s people and culture team on APAC employment matters and laws, including contingent workers, performance management, investigations, corporate policies, and other employment-related matters.
- Advise our sales, marketing, customer solutions, and people and culture teams on APAC privacy compliance, strategy, and data usage.
- Manage, protect, and enforce our intellectual property and global brand in APAC across relevant substantive areas such as patents, trademarks, and trade secrets. Provide intellectual property litigation and due diligence support, and provide IP training and counseling.
- Provide legal support for real estate matters, including drafting and negotiating leases, subleases, and broker agreements.
- Review, draft, and negotiate legal agreements, including commercial agreements and key agreements relating to suppliers, vendors, and software and technology licensing. Respond to legal requests from sales, engineering, finance, marketing, and other clients, summarizing and communicating legal concepts in a clear and concise manner.
- Support merger and acquisition activities, including preparing and negotiating non-disclosure agreements, work with internal tax and finance teams and external counsel on transactions, conduct and coordinate due diligence reviews (and prepare due diligence reports for the business and deal team), develop and communicate responses to critical legal issues as they arise, and assist with post-merger integration efforts.
- Handle other special projects as requested.
- You have at least 8 years of general in-house corporate experience handling a variety of legal matters, including commercial transactions, employment, privacy, intellectual property, mergers and acquisitions, and general corporate matters.
- You have a proactive approach, a passion for learning about the business, the industry, and new areas of the law, enjoy problem solving, are capable of making smart decisions in the face of ambiguity and imperfect information.
- You have the ability to work independently but are still a great collaborator, have excellent legal and business judgment, enthusiasm for a fast-paced environment, and can manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- 8 years PQE of legal experience covering a range of corporate and legal matters (i.e. commercial transactions, employment, privacy, intellectual property, and/or mergers and acquisitions) in a technology company
- Demonstrated understanding of and experience with Australian contract law, employment law, corporate law, and privacy law (and support of the APAC region)
- Experience both at a law firm and in-house legal experience with a software or SaaS company.
- Experience working with a software company in the SaaS space.
- A practical, business-oriented approach and excellent communication skills with the ability to distill complex legal concepts into simple, actionable recommendations.
- Exceptionally strong business acumen and the ability to work effectively and efficiently on multiple projects in a busy work environment, while being a critical (and often autonomous) go-to partner for fellow peers in the company and legal department.
- High level of integrity, professionalism, intellectual curiosity, and willingness to grow.
- Confirmed ability to interact effectively at all levels of the organization while building strong internal relationships and influence across departments.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with attention to detail.
At Medallia, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it and recognize the value it brings to our customers and employees. Medallia is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. Equal opportunity and consideration are afforded to all qualified applicants and employees. We won't unlawfully discriminate on the basis of gender identity or expression, race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, physical or mental disability, Veteran status, sexual orientation, and any other category protected by law.