Medallia’s mission is to help companies win through customer experience. The world’s best-loved brands trust Medallia’s Experience Cloud™, which embeds the pulse of the customer in an organization and empowers employees with the real-time customer data, insights, and tools they need to make every experience great. Named a leader in the most recent Forrester Wave and ranked in the 2018 Forbes Cloud 100 list, Medallia is growing quickly, with a global footprint that spans Silicon Valley, Austin, New York, Washington DC, London, Paris, Sydney, Buenos Aires, and Tel Aviv. Here, we value people for each of the aspects that make them whole. We believe that people should not be defined only by a job title—nobody is "just an engineer" or "just a salesperson." We are each partners, parents, children, siblings, friends, and former classmates. We have different backgrounds and we celebrate different cultures. And, just like our product, we honor each of the experiences that build our people.
At Medallia we hire the whole person, not just a part of them.
Medallia’s legal team works to be a competitive advantage for the company, delivering smart, creative legal solutions that powers growth. Our efforts have made us one of the most respected and well liked teams at Medallia.
The commercial team supports this mission by working with our colleagues across the organization to close deals at scale. In addition, we provide solid product and privacy counseling. We are negotiators, with deep knowledge of the law and business, which allows for quick, confident counsel and decision making. We are writers, with a style that expresses complex ideas in straight-forward language. We are strategic business advisors and work closely with key stakeholders across the organization. We are legal generalists and eager to help our product and engineering teams to navigate the legal environment to build successful products. We are team players, generous to our colleagues and focused on the team victory. Most of all, we are passionate about our work, and we are always looking for opportunities to get better at what we do.
- Negotiate and close good deals. Each enterprise SaaS deal that we close is a step towards creating and cementing relationships across industries, and each agreement is a testament to our institutional willingness to improve upon the status quo. As Legal Counsel, you will be responsible for leading smart, relationship focused negotiations with some of the largest and most respected companies in the world. And you will be empowered to find creative, efficient ways to close deals that deliver value to both Medallia and our customers.
- Demonstrate excellent writing skills. At the heart of every transaction we do is a contract that should express even the most complex ideas in clear, straight-forward prose. And each draft that we deliver is surrounded by written comments that should explain our position, persuade the reader, and drive the parties toward an efficient deal close. Develop a progressive and nuanced understanding of our industry. You will quickly work to complement a strong understanding of commercial law with a deep understanding of our business.
- Be a legal generalist. You will provide legal counsel on a broad range of legal issues, such as intellectual property and privacy law and you will help business stakeholders across the company navigate legal matters. Engage your colleagues. You will be integral to Medallia’s success, but you won’t stand alone. Instead, you will bring a collaborative mindset and a commitment to work with colleagues across the company.
- Quench your thirst for knowledge and experience. As an attorney on a team comprised of smart, humble and driven members, there will be a wealth of learning opportunities for you, as well as opportunities to celebrate milestones in your development.
- Get ready for the ride of your life. We are determined to build the best commercial team in the industry. And we are going to get there by hiring lawyers who share our passion and giving them the opportunity to take on big challenges. Together, we are going to learn and improve and fight for great results.
REQUIRED BACKGROUND, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS:
- J.D. or LL.M. with strong academic credentials.
- Member of the California Bar, eligible to register as Registered In-House Counsel or willing to take the California Bar Exam.
- At least one year of relevant experience in a law firm, government agency, and/or in-house legal department.
- Highly collaborative person who supports their colleagues, who champions our mission and wants to win as a team.
- Experience with federal government contracts is a bonus, but not required.
- Good sense of humor and desire to get things done.
At Medallia, we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate it and recognize the value it brings to our customers and employees. Medallia is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. Equal opportunity and consideration are afforded to all qualified applicants and employees. We won't unlawfully discriminate on the basis of gender identity or expression, race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, physical or mental disability, Veteran status, sexual orientation, and any other category protected by law. We also consider all qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. Medallia is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities in accordance with the American Disabilities Act and local disability laws.