Senior Corporate Counsel
Medallia’s mission is to help companies win through customer experience. The world’s best-loved brands trust Medallia’s Experience Cloud™, which embeds the pulse of the customer in an organization and empowers employees with the real-time customer data, insights, and tools they need to make every experience great. Named a leader in the most recent Forrester Wave and ranked in the 2018 Forbes Cloud 100 list, Medallia is growing quickly, with a global footprint that spans Silicon Valley, Austin, New York, Washington DC, London, Paris, Sydney, Buenos Aires, and Tel Aviv. Here, we value people for each of the aspects that make them whole. We believe that people should not be defined only by a job title—nobody is "just an engineer" or "just a salesperson." We are each partners, parents, children, siblings, friends, and former classmates. We have different backgrounds and we celebrate different cultures. And, just like our product, we honor each of the experiences that build our people.
At Medallia we hire the whole person, not just a part of them.
Medallia’s Legal team takes customer service to the next level and strives to be a competitive advantage for the company by developing solutions and powering growth. We are business partners with deep knowledge of the law and business that allows for quick, solution-oriented counsel and decision making. We are team players devoted to our colleagues and focused on the team’s victory. Most of all, we are passionate about our work, and we are always looking for opportunities to get better at what we do.
The Senior Corporate Counsel position will be a key role in our dynamic legal team, reporting directly to our VP, Deputy General Counsel and will be responsible for a wide range of privacy, product, intellectual property, commercial transactions, mergers and acquisitions, employment, and general corporate matters for the company and its global subsidiaries, with adaptability to engage in other special projects to support a rapidly growing business.
The ideal candidate will have 5 – 8 years of general in-house corporate experience handling a variety of legal matters, including privacy, product, intellectual property, commercial transactions, mergers and acquisitions, employment, and general corporate matters. Additionally, the ideal candidate has a proactive personality, a passion for learning about the business, the industry, and new areas of the law, enjoys problem solving, is capable of making smart decisions in the face of ambiguity and imperfect information, has the ability to work independently but is still a great collaborator, has excellent legal and business judgment, enthusiasm for a fast-paced environment, and can manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Provide privacy counsel to the business, which includes working with Medallia’s product, engineering, compliance and security teams to ensure that our powerful enterprise SaaS software meets the quickly evolving requirements of global privacy laws (e.g., GDPR, CCPA, HIPAA, and other state and federal privacy laws).
- Advise our sales, marketing, customer solutions, and people and culture teams on privacy compliance, strategy, and data usage.
- Work closely with product, design, and engineering teams to provide counseling, education, and guidance on legal compliance related to new and existing features, services, and offerings. Anticipate internal and external business and regulatory issues and provide applicable legal advice.
- Develop, manage, protect, and enforce our intellectual property and global brand across relevant substantive areas such as patents and trademarks. Provide intellectual property litigation and due diligence support, and provide IP training and counseling.
- Provide legal support for real estate matters, including drafting and negotiating leases, subleases, and broker agreements.
- Review, draft, and negotiate legal agreements, including commercial agreements and key agreements relating to suppliers, vendors, and software and technology licensing. Respond to legal requests from sales, engineering, finance, marketing, and other clients, summarizing and communicating legal concepts in a clear and concise manner.
- Support merger and acquisition activities, including preparing and negotiating non-disclosure agreements, work with internal tax and finance teams and external counsel on transactions, conduct and coordinate due diligence reviews (and prepare due diligence reports for the business and deal team), develop and communicate responses to critical legal issues as they arise, and assist with post-merger integration efforts.
- Provide advice and strategic support to Medallia’s people and culture team on global employment matters and laws, including contingent workers, performance management, investigations, corporate policies, and other employment-related matters.
- Handle other special projects as requested.
- Minimum of 5 years of directly relevant experience, preferably including time both at a top law firm and in-house legal experience with a software or SaaS company.
- Membership of the State Bar where you reside(in good standing), or if you are in California and not a member of the California Bar, eligibility and commitment to register as California Registered In-House Counsel.
- Exceptionally strong business acumen and the ability to work effectively and efficiently on multiple projects in a busy work environment, while being a critical (and often autonomous) go-to partner for fellow peers in the company and legal department.
- High level of integrity, professionalism, intellectual curiosity, and willingness to grow.
- Demonstrated experience handling a range of legal matters.
- A practical, business-oriented approach and excellent communication skills with the ability to distill complex legal concepts into simple, actionable recommendations.
- Confirmed ability to interact effectively at all levels of the organization while building strong internal relationships and influence across departments.
- A good understanding of U.S. GAAP.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with attention to detail.
- Solid knowledge of SOX compliance requirements.
At Medallia, we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate it and recognize the value it brings to our customers and employees. Medallia is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. Equal opportunity and consideration are afforded to all qualified applicants and employees. We won't unlawfully discriminate on the basis of gender identity or expression, race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, physical or mental disability, Veteran status, sexual orientation, and any other category protected by law. We also consider all qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. Medallia is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities in accordance with the American Disabilities Act and local disability laws. For information regarding how Medallia collects and uses personal information, please review our Privacy Policies.