Senior Legal Consultant, Public Sector (Contractor)
Medallia’s mission is to help companies win through customer experience. The world’s best-loved brands trust Medallia’s Experience Cloud™, which embeds the pulse of the customer in an organization and empowers employees with the real-time customer data, insights, and tools they need to make every experience great. Named a leader in the most recent Forrester Wave and ranked in the 2018 Forbes Cloud 100 list, Medallia is growing quickly, with a global footprint that spans Silicon Valley, Austin, New York, Washington DC, London, Paris, Sydney, Buenos Aires, and Tel Aviv. Here, we value people for each of the aspects that make them whole. We believe that people should not be defined only by a job title—nobody is "just an engineer" or "just a salesperson." We are each partners, parents, children, siblings, friends, and former classmates. We have different backgrounds and we celebrate different cultures. And, just like our product, we honor each of the experiences that build our people.
At Medallia we hire the whole person, not just a part of them.
Medallia’s legal team works to be a competitive advantage for the company, delivering smart, creative legal counsel that clears obstacles and powers growth. The commercial team supports this mission by working with our colleagues across the organization to close good deals at scale. We are negotiators, with the kind of deep knowledge of the law and business that allows for quick, confident counsel and decision making. We are writers, with a style that expresses complex ideas in pure, plain language. We are strategic business advisors and work closely with key stakeholders across the organization We are team players, considerate to our colleagues and focused on the team. Most of all, we are passionate about our work, and we are always looking for opportunities to get better at what we do.
- Create the legal strategy and vision for our commercial public sector practice.
- Proactively suggest changes to drive the business forward.
- Partner with internal stakeholders to build scalable processes regarding diverse legal and business areas, such as compliance, finance, and bookings.
- Educate internal stakeholders on the nuances and legal, business and compliance requirements of doing business with the government.
- Negotiate and close good deals with the government and industry partners. You will be responsible for leading smart, relationship focused negotiations with our customers in the public sector. You will be empowered to find creative, efficient ways to close deals that deliver value to both Medallia and our customers.
- Develop a deep and nuanced understanding of our industry. You will complement a strong understanding of commercial law (including federal acquisition regulations) with a deep understanding of our business.
- Be a legal athlete. To achieve our mission of closing good deals, you will provide legal counsel on a broad range of legal issues, such as intellectual property and privacy law, and will stand ready to quickly master new areas of expertise as needed by the business.
- Engage your colleagues. You will be integral to Medallia’s success, but you won’t stand alone. Instead, you will bring a collaborative mindset and a commitment to work with colleagues across the company.
- J.D. or LL.M.
- Member of the California, DC or New York Bar, or eligible to register as Registered In-House Counsel
- 10+ years of relevant experience in a law firm, government agency, and/or in-house legal department focusing on supporting deals with the government.
- Highly collaborative person who supports their colleagues, who champions our mission and wants to win as a team
- Experience leading a legal public sector practice at a technology company
- Strong academic credentials
- Good sense of humor and desire to get things done
At Medallia, we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate it and recognize the value it brings to our customers and employees. Medallia is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. Equal opportunity and consideration are afforded to all qualified applicants and employees. We won't unlawfully discriminate on the basis of gender identity or expression, race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, physical or mental disability, Veteran status, sexual orientation, and any other category protected by law. We also consider all qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. Medallia is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities in accordance with the American Disabilities Act and local disability laws. For information regarding how Medallia collects and uses personal information, please review our Privacy Policies.